* shading worked well and I was able to achieve the values I wanted
* It looks true to the photo reference
* The person I drew liked it a lot
* The shading blended nicely
* Glasses are uneven, they were hard to make
* Angle of face tilt is not entirely true to photo
* Not much shading on forehead, but it didn't have much in the picture
Started with rough outlines, then slowly added more and darker values. Added some white gel pen for highlights in places like the eyes and earrings when all the shading was complete.
- easy to lay out parts of painting while in progress
- was easy for people to stick their heads in and pose
- background wasn't very accurate to the original
- some colors were hard to replicate, like skin tone and sky.
Process: Started with a green wash base, then worked on the figure and the background simultaneously. we then cut out a hole in the face area for people to stick their heads in, and added cardboard to the back of the canvas paper using hot glue along with cardboard as a stand so that the painting could stand up on its own.
I used acrylic paint, graphite pencils, glitter, and used splattering techniques on paper that I squished together to create the weird marbled effect on the rips of paper. I started with a bad acrylic painting of an ocean, with strips of paper colored to match the background for dimension with glitter added, but decided I didn't like where I was going with it. I then covered it with more paper, including the strips of the marbled paint paper. I decided it looked a bit empty, so I added two eyes, one eye of mine and one of my friend, to add an abstract factor to my piece.
The word I used was "bliss", and I portrayed it this way because I am in bliss when I am doing art. it brings me peace, and makes me happy. I chose to make something abstract that caught my eye to represent this.
Once it was fired, I used colored glaze to paint the honey pot to add color.
Something I find successful about the finished piece is how bright and solid the coloring is. I also like my choice to remove the bee I had on the handle.
Something I would change if I were to do it again would be to use more variation in colors. The yellows looked different before being fired, but I probably could have used some brown or golden brown on the handle.
For my piece, I plan to complete the glazing with the colors I want. Or even change a few small details. I think to finish it all I need is to have correct coloring, such as yellow for the middle and brown for the lid.
Something I have found difficult so far would be forming each coil. I found this difficult because I really am not skilled at clay pieces, and I struggled with making them smooth and even.
Something I found successful was the handle. It is structurally sound, and is the right shape for a hand to hold it.